Bread is usually the base for regular sandwiches or as toast for breakfast. Here I show you a breakfast variation called Bread Upma. This simple and delicious recipe will ensure your breakfasts are never the same again.
6-8 slices of bread (you can use brown or multigrain)
1/2 cup onion (finely chopped)
2 tbsp carrots (finely chopped)
1/4 cup tomatoes (finely chopped)
5-6 curry leaves
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp chilli (finely chopped)
1/4 cup capsicum (finely chopped)
2 tsp butter
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp urad dal
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp sambhar masala
Salt to taste
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves and lemon slice
- Cut the bread into small pieces.
- Now heat oil and butter in a pan and let it melt.
- Add mustard, cumin and urad dal, let it splitter
- Now add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add onion, carrots, capsicum and sauté well till the onions turn translucent.
- Now add tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, chilly , turmeric, sambhar masala, salt and mix well and cook it till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add bread pieces and toss them to coat all the bread pieces well.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped coriander and mix everything together
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Take out in serving plate, garnish with coriander leaves and slice of lemon
- Serve hot.
Indian Chef Chhaya Thakker, who has a huge following online on WhatsApp and YouTube will be sharing her favorite recipes and cooking tips with readers of The Times Kuwait. For feedback, you can write to email@example.com