Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A, B and C in addition to being a good source of iron, calcium, and selenium, all of which provide nutritional benefits to the body. Sweet potatoes are also high in the antioxidant beta-carotene, as well as being richly endowed with fiber.
Latkes are popular snacks that reportedly originated in Eastern Europe, where potatoes were used as the main ingredient due to their wide and plentiful availability in the region. Over time, latkes spread to other places and were adapted using other locally available starchy root vegetables, or from other items such as cheese, onions or zucchini, as the main ingredient.
Latkes or their locally named variants are basically deep-fried fritters, patties, or pancakes with a distinctive aroma that renders them especially popular as a street food. It is also a perfect snack at party gatherings, or aspecial brunch or dinner.
Total time : 30 minutes
Serving: 10 to 12 latkes.
- 3 medium sweet potato (peeled and shredded)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour ( Can be replaced with any gluten-free flour)
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black sesame seed
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- Water (as needed)
- Oil for frying
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion and lemon slices for garnishing
- Place shredded sweet potato in a large bowl and stir well with the flour, garlic, onion, black pepper, paprika powder, sesame seeds and salt
- Mix the ingredients until well combined. (If needed add dash of water to binding)
- Make little balls and flatten them into round patties
- Heat up about 1/2 cup of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat
- Place a few latkes at a time in the pan and press down firmly with a spatula
- Fry for about 3-4 minutes per side until they are golden brown.
- Add more oil as needed.
- Serve hot with sour cream, or alternatively with hummus or apple sauce
- Sprinkle some spring onion as garnish and top with a lemon slice.
Indian Chef Chhaya Thakker, who has a huge following online on WhatsApp and YouTube will be sharing her favorite recipes and cooking tips with readers of The Times Kuwait. For feedback, you can write to email@example.com