FeaturedWorld

Trump says Strait of Hormuz remains open as US seeks compensation

US President Donald Trump said Monday that the Strait of Hormuz is "open and will remain open," announcing that his country will receive a 20 percent "compensation" from the value of shipments passing through the waterway for its role in protecting it.

US President Donald Trump said Monday that the Strait of Hormuz is “open and will remain open,” announcing that his country will receive a 20 percent “compensation” from the value of shipments passing through the waterway for its role in protecting it.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the Strait of Hormuz “is open and will remain open, with or without Iran.” He said the US is “reimposing the Iranian blockade,” describing it as a measure limited to preventing Iranian ships or Iran-backed entities from entering or leaving the waterway, while all other countries will retain their right to fair and open use of the strait.



“From now on, the US will be known as the protector of the Strait of Hormuz,” Trump said, adding that, “as a matter of fairness,” the United States would receive 20 percent of the value of all shipments transported through the waterway to cover the costs of ensuring security and safety in the strategic passage.

He added that procedures and arrangements for the operation would begin immediately. Iranian attacks on vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz resumed last week, while the US Central Command (CENTCOM) carried out several rounds of strikes against targets in Iran.

Trump had earlier announced the formal end of a ceasefire reached under a US-Iran memorandum of understanding last month, which was intended to remain in effect for 60 days pending a broader agreement between the two countries.




Follow The Times Kuwait on X, Instagram, Facebook and Whatsapp Channel for the latest news updates


 








Read Today's News TODAY...
on our Telegram Channel
click here to join and receive all the latest updates t.me/thetimeskuwait



Back to top button