An easy-to-make and healthy sweet that you can enjoy guilt free. Indian- style date rolls make a tasty after-school snack that kids will enjoy, or serve it with a glass of milk for breakfast. It can also be served as a sweet-free dessert after dinner; it is perfect to satisfy your sweet-craving or to smother the evening mini hunger.
Total time: 30 minutes
Serving: 20 pieces
- 500g soft dates (Medjool)
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped nuts (cashews, pistachios and almonds)
- 1tsp cardamom powder
- 1tsp dry ginger powder
- Grind the deseeded dates and set aside
- In a pan lightly roast all the nuts
- Heat ghee in a pan and add the ground dates and cook for about 3-4 minutes
- Add the roasted nuts, cardamom and ginger powders and combine evenly
- Cook for another 2 minutes
- Turn off the flame and let it cool at room temperature .
- Grease the hand with oil and shape the mixture into three long cylindrical rolls
- Spread the desiccated coconut on a plate and roll the cylindrical date rolls to coat it all over the surface
- Wrap it in cling wrap
- Let it cool and firm in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Unwrap the roll and with a sharp knife carefully cut out slices of around 3cm thickness and serve
- Store in an airtight container.
Indian Chef Chhaya Thakker, who has a huge following online on WhatsApp and YouTube will be sharing her favorite recipes and cooking tips with readers of The Times Kuwait. For feedback, you can write to email@example.com