A healthy fudge to tickle taste buds in the cold of winter, this recipe calls for the use of the nutritious, protein-packed split black gram (urad dal) flour, along with healthy nuts and spices that are guaranteed to warm your body as temperatures dip in winter.
Total time: 40 minutes
Serving:15 to 20 pieces.
- 1/2 cup edible gum (Gundar)
- 1.5 cups coarse black gram flour
- 1 cup ghee
- 1.5 cups of jaggery (Gud)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp cardamom (Elaichi) powder
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp pepper root powder
- 1 tsp mace powder
- 2 tbsp dried ginger (Sonth) powder
- 1/2 cup dry nuts powder (Almond, pistachios, cashew)
- Fry the gum in ghee
- Crush the fried gum
- Roast the coarse black gram flour in ghee over medium flame till it becomes golden brown. Add the milk slowly to the roasted flour and mix well without any lumps
- Add the dessicated coconut and roast well before adding the crushed gum and mixing thoroughly.
- Add the cardamom powder, black pepper powder, dried ginger powder and dry fruit powder. Mix them well.
- Turn off the flame and place the mixture in a bowl
- Heat a little ghee and melt the jaggery in it
- When melted, add the previously prepared mixture and blend together
- Grease a large tray with ghee and transfer the mixture spreading it evenly
- Garnish with almonds and pistachios
- Once it is firm, cut into desired shape and serve
Indian Chef Chhaya Thakker, who has a huge following online on WhatsApp and YouTube will be sharing her favorite recipes and cooking tips with readers of The Times Kuwait. For feedback, you can write to email@example.com