This is basically spicy shallow-fried eggplant slices cooked with Indian spice mixture. If you are not a fan of eggplant, you could use Zucchini or other similar vegetables. Eggplants are very versatile vegetables and these fried eggplant slices can also substitute for meat n burger sandwiches, or be served as a side or snack at any time. It is also a great addition to any low-carb keto-friendly meal.
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 1 large eggplant cut into thick slices.
• 1 tsp red chili powder
• 1 tbsp cumin-coriander powder
• 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp garam masala
• 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
• 1/2 tsp dry mango powder
• Pinch of sugar (optional)
• 2 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
• 1 tbsp gram flour
• Salt to taste
• 2 tbsp oil, plus enough oil to shallow fry
• 1 tbsp water
• Place all the powders in a bowl, add gram flour, garam masala, ginger-garlic paste and half the chopped coriander leaves
• Add the water, oil and mix everything into a smooth paste
• Apply the paste on each sides of eggplant slice
• Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry eggplant slices on low to medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes until they are done and turn a golden hue.
• Remove from pan, garnish with remaining chopped coriander leaves and serve with bread or rice.
Indian Chef Chhaya Thakker, who has a huge following online on WhatsApp and YouTube will be sharing her favorite recipes and cooking tips with readers of The Times Kuwait. For feedback, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org