Ask Mira : Eating Right to Live Happy & Healthy
If you want to lose weight faster and naturally, then you need to control your nighttime food cravings. All food cravings are diet-killers (if you make the wrong choices), but the ones that hit you late at night seem to be the worst diet enemy. It causes a fast weight gain simply because your metabolism will go down at night, so anything you eat is more likely to be stored as fat.
One reason why some people tend to skip their breakfast in the morning is because they cannot control their habit of munching on food late at night. Also, do not consider cutting down your needed calories per day to help you lose weight; it will only set you up for more food cravings later in the evening.
But I understand that many of you, including me, like to munch on something, especially late at night after a long busy day, usually called “the mindless snacking”, which often happens while watching TV, or while browsing the net.
If you must munch late at night, then, instead of munching on junk snacks, choose healthy options from the list below:
- Carrot and cucumber sticks, with some low-fat yogurt dip
- Broccoli, celery, mushrooms, cauliflower raw crunchy pieces, with cocktail dip (mustard, ketchup and a teaspoon of low-fat mayo)
- 1 small bowl of home-made popcorn, full of fiber, super healthy and light
- 1 fresh fruit from your choice (one only). An Excellent high fiber choice
- 1 handful of mixed nuts, full of protein and fiber.
- 1 mug of whole wheat cereal or oats with a cup of low-fat milk or yogurt
- 1 handful of pumpkin or sunflower seeds, non-salted (salt retains water), full of fiber.
- 2 small squares of dark chocolate, rich in antioxidants
- One simple tip that I usually do and helps a lot: Brush your teeth after you eat with menthol toothpaste, it quickly relieves the hunger feeling. Try it.
To subscribe to my diet programs, don’t forget to log in to: www.eatlikemira.com