Abu Dhabi has recently announced a program that offers talented professionals, students, and investors 5- and 10-year visas. Students and professionals working in Abu Dhabi will soon be able to apply for a golden visa, which will offer long-term residency options in the UAE, local English publication Khaleej Times reported.
The “Thrive in Abu Dhabi” program, also offers UAE citizenship to some. The publication also reported that the UAE authorities will announce the eligibility criteria for citizenship soon.
Each category within the Golden Visa – Thrive in Abu Dhabi program has its own set of criteria, according to the official website of the initiative.
Who is eligible for the ‘Thrive in Abu Dhabi’ golden visa programme?
The following categories can apply for the golden visa:
1. Investors (includes real estate)
3. Student with Promising Scientific Ability (includes high school students and university graduates)
4. Special Talent- Doctors, Scientists, Creatives (Art and Culture), Innovators, Executive Directors, Educators (in priority fields), Sports, PhD Holders and Engineers.
Each category within the Golden Visa – Thrive in Abu Dhabi programme has its own set of criteria for the 5- or 10-year visa options. Here are the eligibility criteria for each category.
Investors- There are two sub-categories: Investors and real estate investors.
10-year Investor visa- Investors in Abu Dhabi are eligible for a 10-year visa if they fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
– A minimum Dh2 million capital deposit in an investment fund/bank account inside Abu Dhabi.
– Established a company of Dh2 million or more in Abu Dhabi or a partner in an existing or a new company with a financial contribution of at least Dh2 million.
– Own a company that regularly pays federal government taxes of Dh250,000 per year or more.
– Be a partner in a company that pays federal taxes, with a financial contribution of at least Dh250,000 in taxes per year or more.
– Investments must be retained for at least two years after the visa has been issued.
5-year real estate investor visa- Real estate investors are eligible for a 5-year visa if they fulfill the below criteria:
– Invest in a property of a gross value of not less than Dh2 million.
– If the property or portfolio of properties are mortgaged, a minimum cash down payment of Dh2 million of the value is required to be eligible for the visa.
– The investment must be retained for at least two years after the visa is issued.
Entrepreneurs are eligible for a 5-year visa if they fulfill one or more of the below criteria:
– An existing project with capital of at least Dh500,000.
– Approval of an accredited business incubator in Abu Dhabi.
There are two sub-categories: High school students and university graduates.
High school student- Abu Dhabi offers a 5-year visa for top-performing students with promising scientific ability:
– Achieved high grades from a high school in Abu Dhabi.
– Have a recommendation from the Ministry of Education.
University graduate- Abu Dhabi offers a 10-year visa for highly qualified university graduates:
– Must be a graduate of an accredited university in Abu Dhabi.
– Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.8
Abu Dhabi offers a 10-year visa for talented individuals in nine categories.
– Must be licensed to practice as a consultant or specialist physician by the Abu Dhabi Department of Health.
– Must have obtained qualifications ranked in tier 1 or licensed as a consultant and have been effective to the healthcare delivered services.
– Must have been practising as a consultant or specialist physician for more than 10 years.
– Provides healthcare in a rare specialty, with the total number of professionals practicing in the same field not exceeding 5% of the total number of licensed physicians.
Additionally, doctors must fulfil one of the following criteria and provide relevant evidence:
– Has been certified or awarded as a distinguished professional by any of the relevant government authorities.
– Is a member of the effective clinical research team.
– Has published relevant articles in an international scientific journal.
– Is an active member of the Abu Dhabi Department of Health committee or an active member of an international medical education programme.
– Must have a recommendation from Emirates Scientists Council or be a recipient of the Mohammed Bin Rashid Medal for Scientific Distinguishment
Creatives (Art and Culture)
– Must have a recommendation from one of the specialized governmental cultural agencies in Abu Dhabi
– Must have a recommendation from the Ministry of Economy and own a patent that adds value to the Abu Dhabi economy
– Must have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent).
– Minimum of 5 years of work experience.
– Minimum salary of Dh50,000 per month.
– Valid employment contract in Abu Dhabi.
Educators (in priority fields)
– Must be specialized in one of the rare fields or specialties of priority for the country, and determined by the relevant authorities.
– Must obtain a recommendation from the General Sports Authority or the Abu Dhabi Sports Council
Must be in one of the following categories:
– Outstanding sports talent
– Achieved athletic excellence
– Holds a leadership position in international sports federations, committees or organizations
– Specialised in sports medicine
– Must hold a Ph.D. in one of the priority sectors for Abu Dhabi, accredited by the Ministry of Education
Must hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree, accredited by the Ministry of Education, in one of the following fields, and must also work in this field in Abu Dhabi:
– Epidemiology and Virology
– Artificial Intelligence
– Big Data
– Computer Engineering
– Electrical Engineering
– Software Engineering
– Electronics Engineering
– Genetic Engineering
– Biotechnology Engineering