Are you one of those who lost weight on caffeine? or maybe you think that it was the caffeine effect while you were trying to control your food quality and quantity.. I personally never think of using drinks to control my appetite or to lose some weight, I always prefer the natural way which I am sure you all know: Eating a balanced diet plus exercise.
But, what is the direct relation between caffeine and weight loss? And why are a lot of fat- burning pills made out of caffeine?
I will start by saying that caffeine may slightly encourage weight loss or maybe prevent weight gain, but there is no proof that increased caffeine consumption can lead to permanent weight loss.
When I mention caffeine, it doesn’t mean only the coffee people drink, but also different beverages including caffeine like tea, energy drinks and cola, products containing cocoa or chocolate.
What does coffee do?
• Caffeine stimulates thermogenesis : one of the ways your body generates heat and energy from digesting food.
• Thermogenesis is one basal metabolic rate reaction, which means the metabolism of your body at rest, when you are not exerting any effort. So it is a minimal reaction. And there is no evidence that long-term coffee consumption aids in weight loss.
• Caffeine also acts as a diuretic, which means it increases the amount of urine you excrete. So you end up losing the water more than the fat, which is why you tend to lose weight.
• Caffeine acts as a natural appetite suppressant: Caffeine lovers, those who drink more than 3 cups of coffee a day, may end up eating less throughout the day. Caffeine gives a feeling of satiety, especially when it comes to smoking with caffeine consumption
• Coffee contains antioxidants, which fights against cancer problems, but too much caffeine might cause nervousness, insomnia, nausea and increased blood pressure. It contains ‘cafestol’ which increases blood cholesterol levels, so it is not recommended for people with issues with their cholesterol.
One final bit of advice is to not use any pills. It is dangerous in the long run.
Your best option is to intake two cups of coffee daily which is healthy due to their high antioxidant levels, but not more than this as caffeine will cause irritability, addiction and hypertension.
To subscribe to my diet programs, don’t forget to log in to: www.eatlikemira.com.