FeaturedWorld

After Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested in police raid

. . . King Charles says ‘Law Must Take Its Course’

Police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday following a raid on his home at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, marking an unprecedented moment for Britain’s royal family as the monarch publicly backed the legal process against his own brother.

In an official statement, King Charles III expressed “deepest concern” over the arrest and stressed that authorities would receive full cooperation from the royal household.

“The law must take its course,” the King said, adding that the matter would now proceed through a “full, fair and proper process” handled by the appropriate authorities. He declined to comment further while investigations continue.

Members of the media outside Royal Lodge, the former home of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor in Windsor, Berkshire.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, is suspected of misconduct in public office — an offence that can carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment under UK law if proven, according to The Guardian.

Police officers conducted searches at properties linked to him, including Royal Lodge in Windsor, while detectives prepare to question him under criminal caution. Authorities will decide whether to charge him, release him pending further inquiries, or take no further action.

The arrest makes him the first senior member of the modern British royal family to be taken into custody in a criminal investigation, placing the monarchy in what commentators described as “uncharted waters.”

Palace Not Warned in Advance

Reports indicated that Buckingham Palace and the King were not given prior notice of the arrest. Despite the developments, the monarch continued with scheduled official duties at Buckingham Palace, holding ambassadorial meetings hours after the news broke.

The Prince and Princess of Wales were reported to support the King’s statement, emphasizing respect for due process.

Political and Public Reaction

Senior British politicians reacted swiftly, stressing equality before the law. Government officials stated that the police investigation must proceed in the “usual way,” underscoring that status or title should not influence justice.

In Scotland, political leaders described the arrest as a “very serious development,” while former officials credited victims connected to disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein for bringing long-standing allegations into public scrutiny.

The family of Virginia Giuffre, one of Epstein’s most prominent accusers, said the arrest demonstrated that “no one is above the law,” calling it a moment of accountability for survivors.

Royal Status Already Removed

Andrew had already been stripped of royal titles and duties last year following controversy surrounding his association with Epstein. Although no longer a working royal, he remains eighth in line to the British throne.

Police searches remain ongoing as investigators gather evidence linked to the misconduct allegations. Authorities have not yet confirmed whether formal charges will follow.

As the inquiry unfolds, the royal family has signaled it will continue official duties while allowing the legal process to proceed independently — a stance underscored by the King’s central message: justice must run its course.


Follow The Times Kuwait on X, Instagram and Facebook for the latest news updates









Read Today's News TODAY...
on our Telegram Channel
click here to join and receive all the latest updates t.me/thetimeskuwait



Back to top button