
The death toll from a devastating fire that swept through a shopping center in Karachi, southern Pakistan, has risen to 67, according to updated figures released by local authorities on Friday.
A spokesperson for the regional government said that 64 bodies have so far undergone autopsy procedures, while the identities of eight victims have been formally confirmed, according to news reports.
More than 50 families have submitted DNA samples in an effort to identify missing relatives, as forensic teams continue the identification process.
Authorities confirmed that the bodies will be handed over to families once DNA analysis is completed and identities are verified.
The fire broke out last Saturday evening at Gol Plaza, a three-storey commercial complex housing approximately 1,200 shops and considered one of the city’s busiest shopping destinations. The blaze spread rapidly, trapping dozens of people inside the building.
A government-appointed committee has launched an investigation into the incident, although the exact cause of the fire remains unknown. Officials said findings will be announced once technical and forensic examinations are completed.
The tragedy has renewed concerns over fire safety standards in commercial buildings across the country, particularly in densely populated urban centers such as Karachi.










