Forgot your password?



Back to login

Qatar quits basketball over headscarf ban
September 25, 2014, 8:48 am
Share/Bookmark

Qatar yesterday withdrew their women’s basketball team from the Asian Games just before their first match over a rule banning Muslim headscarves. Qatar and the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) hit out at the International Basketball Federation (FIBA) rule which bans all headwear on safety grounds. The Gulf state, whoses team were due to open their campaign against Mongolia in the qualifying round at Incheon yesterday, said the rule ran contrary to Olympic principles on diversity.

“FIBA didn’t let our players play with the headscarves and so we had to withdraw from the tournament,” said Ahlam Al Mana, head of Qatar’s women’s sports committee. “What happened today is against International Olympic Committee goals which are meant to include countries from different cultures, and also it’s against the slogan of the Asian Games in Incheon which is ‘Diversity Shines here.’” Al Mana said Qatar knew about the ban in advance, but hoped to persuade FIBA to change its mind.

The headwear ban has already been relaxed at national level. She added that teams from other countries affected by the ban had not travelled to the Games in South Korea. “I’m pretty sure that what happened today can change FIBA rules quickly,” Al Mana said. “Of course the OCA encouraged us to participate but this is a technical decision from FIBA. I hope in the near future they will allow us.”

FIBA did not comment on the case, but the OCA director general Husain Al-Musallam hit out over the hijab ruling. “The right of the athletes must be the highest priority,” he said in a statement. “Every athlete has the right to represent their country’s flag without discrimination or without the threat of a financial penalty.” Football is among the sports which allow religious head coverings following a change of heart from world body FIFA earlier this year.

Meanwhile, Asia’s Olympics boss said Qatar’s hosting of the 2022 World Cup was a “foregone conclusion”-and also backed the Gulf state to hold the Olympic Games. Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah, head of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA), defended Qatar after a FIFA executive committee member said Qatar would lose its World Cup hosting rights. “Qatar has completed the process and the 2022 World Cup in Qatar is a foregone conclusion,” the Kuwaiti told a Qatar Olympic committee reception at the Asian Games in Incheon.

The comment comes after FIFA executive member Theo Zwanziger told a German newspaper that the World Cup would not be held in Qatar because of its sizzling summer weather. FIFA’s ethic committee will in coming months announce the results of its investigation into the bid process for the 2022 World Cup and the 2018 edition which went to Russia.

Sheikh Ahmad also said Doha, which failed in its bids to host both the 2016 and the 2020 Olympics, would be a strong candidate to host the Games in future. “I’m sure Doha can win the Olympics in future with determination and the will of its leadership that strongly supports sports development,” he said.

Share your views
CAPTCHA
 

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

"Envy comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had."

Photo Gallery