Forgot your password?



Back to login

Kuwait's extension of peace talks tests Yemeni negotiators seriousness
July 31, 2016, 8:26 am
Share/Bookmark

Kuwait's decision to extend Intra-Yemeni talks for another week, ending August 7th, is a chance for Yemeni parties to show their seriousness in pursuing peace. Kuwait's decision came in response to an official request from the United Nations, a foreign ministry official said.

The UN has filed the request just three days before the end of a previously announced Kuwaiti two-week ultimatum for Yemeni negotiators to reach a deal after failing to make tangible progress in the main files after over 90 days of talks. Kuwait expressed hopes the Yemeni parties would reach a comprehensive and sustainable agreement before the deadline.

The Kuwaiti' move was warmly welcomed by the United Nations. The UN is grateful for generous hospitality of His Highness the Amir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah, and appreciates Kuwait's continuous efforts towards a peaceful solution to the conflict in Yemen, said UN Special Envoy for Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmad.

"We hope that the delegations can utilize this remaining week to achieve progress on the path towards peace," Ahmad said in a statement after announcing earlier on Saturday the extension of the Yemen Peace Talks in Kuwait for an additional week.

The UN Secretary General's Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmad on Saturday met with the delegations of Yemen's Ansarullah movement and the General People's Congress (GPC). Earlier today, the envoy met with the delegation representing the Yemeni government in the Kuwaiti consultations on peace in Yemen.

During the meeting with Ansarullah and the GPC, Ould Cheikh Ahmad discussed visions to dissolve the crisis in Yemen. Following today's meetings, the UN envoy said he had handed over the negotiating teams a worksheet on visions for the coming period with the prior target of concluding a solution in Yemen.

The talks with the Yemeni parties focused on the envoys vision for an integrated and comprehensive solution to the crisis in Yemen, and a proposal for extending the Kuwait talks for a short period.

Meanwhile, informed sources said that each of the Yemeni parties would hold closed meetings to discuss the worksheet, and form a stance towards it.

Later, First Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Sabah Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah met with the UN envoy Ould Cheikh Ahmad at Bayan Palace to review latest developments on the ongoing Yemeni peace talks in Kuwait.

Source: KUNA

Share your views
CAPTCHA
 

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

"Envy comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had."

Photo Gallery