A 52-year old citizen tested positive for the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection, the Ministry of Health announced on Wednesday.
The man has recently arrived from an overseas trip; his condition is stable so far, Dr. Mosaab Al-Saleh, head of the Ministry's anti-epidemic unit, told KUNA tonight. "The man was admitted to the Infectious Diseases Hospital and the necessary preventive measures were put in place pursuant to the guidelines of the World Health Organization (WHO)," he added.
Dr. Al-Saleh noted that the second infection case has no relation to the first one announced earlier today.
All those in contact with the first case - a 47-year old citizen, are in good health, he said, promising that the Ministry will update the public on the developments of the matter in a transparent way
Earlier Kuwait reported its first case of the deadly MERS coronavirus on Wednesday, the fifth Gulf Arab country the strain has emerged in since the outbreak began in neighbouring Saudi Arabia last year.
The Kuwaiti patient is in a critical condition, state news agency KUNA said, citing a statement from the Health Ministry. It gave no further details.
The Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), which can cause coughing, fever and pneumonia, has been reported in people in the Gulf, France, GermScientists say they believe dromedary camels in the Middle East may be the animal "reservoir" which is fuelling the outbreak.any, Italy, Tunisia and Britain. Oman reported its first case last month and the sufferer died on Sunday.
The World Health Organization said in August the number of confirmed infections worldwide in the past year was 102. Almost half of those infected have died.