Forgot your password?



Back to login

Kuwait plans minimum power outages in summer - official
March 5, 2017, 4:30 pm
Share/Bookmark

Minister of Oil, Electricity and Water Issam Al-Marzouq affirmed on Sunday that the ministry was well prepared for upcoming summer season. The ministry has prepared well for summer season with aim of limiting prospected power outages, said the minister in a statement on sidelines of opening the project for expanding Al-Sabbiyah power station (the second phase).

Surplus of the prospected electric production would in the range of 2,700 megawatts, he said, also noting that station's full capacity stands at 16,700 MW.

As to outages' causes, he said they happen due to extreme heat which increases pressure on the cables or the relays or as a result of accidental damage in the cables.

Kuwait's electric network is one of the best in the world, according to international quality indexes, the minister said, affirming that there has been no delay in maintaining the electric installations. On the GCC power grid, he said it saves 1,200 MW.

Kuwait, he said, benefited twice from the regional joint network last year -- using up 500 MW. On the project of expanding Al-Sabbiyah station, signed on 28 May, 2015, he said it secures 500 MW, at a value of KD 105 million. This venture had been executed ahead of ending schedule and went into operation on 23 February. 

 

Source: KUNA

Share your views
CAPTCHA
 

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."

"Envy comes from wanting something that isn't yours. But grief comes from losing something you've already had."

Photo Gallery