A fire broke out at Sheikh Jaber Al-Ahmad Cultural Center in Kuwait city on Monday, with no reports of damage, human injuries or casualties. Kuwait Fire Service Directorate (KFSD)'s teams were able to control and put out the blaze.
Footage posted online showed plumes of black smoke billowing out of the centre that could be seen from a distance.
The landmark building was opened by the H.H. Amir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah in October 2016 amid fanfare and fireworks. The centre, which includes a 2,000 seat opera house, reportedly cost $775 million to build. The cultural centre includes a performing arts centre, music centre, concert halls, cinemas, conference centre, historical documents centre as well as libraries, parks, and fountains.
According to its website, the centre is “a multidisciplinary public space owned by the Amiri Diwan striving to entertain, educate and inspire the people of Kuwait". The international musical show Cats was scheduled to be performed at the centre on Thursday.
The centre is named after the thirteenth Amir of the Al Sabah ruling family and third ruler of Kuwait since independence.
Source: KUNA and Gulf News