Over 1,200 contract oil workers, who were on strike over unpaid allowances at a Kuwait Oil Company (KOC) project site in Rawdatain, northern Kuwait, have returned to work.
The expat workers went on strike on Monday over not receiving allowances that were delayed due to issues related to a contract with KOC. The workers returned agreed to work after being told by Kuwait's Ministry of Labour’s Public Authority for Manpower that the contract company had agreed to pay them their dues, Kuwait Times reports.
"The evaluation and follow up inspector of the work relations department Salem Al-Ajmi, the head of the collective conflicts department Mohammed Al-Azmi, and head of the conflicts department in Jahra Radaan Al-Hajiri went to the location this morning [Tuesday] to resolve the conflict peacefully,” said Abdullah Al-Mutawteh, deputy general manager for Manpower Protection.
"The company employing these workers promised to agree to all demands of the workers. The authority will follow up this case to make sure that the company fulfils its promises in order to protect the rights of the workers, and on the other hand organize the labor market," he added. Expat industrial action, including strikes and work stoppages are are illegal in Kuwait.
In November 2015, a unified labour contract was approved in the country to take into consideration the rights and duties of both labourers and employers, which is fully aligned with Kuwait’s Labour Law act number 6/2010, including the date of commencement, validity, job nature and wages in contracts.
Last month, thousands of Kuwaiti oil workers went on a three-day strike for unpaid allowances.
Source: Arabian Business