Exfoliation helps in getting rid of dead skin cells, dirt and grime and should be made an important part of your skin care regimen. While there are many facial scrubs available, it is great to use readily available ingredients for the job. It is important to remember that different skin types have different requirements and this should reflect in the ingredients you use for your home made scrub as well.
Oily skin: People with oily skin should regularly exfoliate to prevent breakouts and blemishes caused by excessive oil secretion which clogs your pores. However, it is also important to note that over exfoliating could result in excess sebum production which would be counterproductive.
• 1Tbsp Baking soda - This cleanses and exfoliates.
• 1 Tbsp Lemon juice – Acts as a natural astringent
• 1Tsp Honey – Has antibacterial/antiseptic properties and moisturizes the skin
Dry skin: The problem with exfoliating dry skin is that sometimes, it could cause further dryness. This does not mean that you should skip the scrubbing. The key is to use moisturizing ingredients while putting together that DIY scrub.
• 1 ½ Tbsp Warm olive oil – Has anti-aging properties and enhances exfoliation
• 1 Tbsp Brown Sugar – Exfoliates the skin and helps fight bacteria
• 1 Tbsp Honey – Hydrates/moisturizes skin
Sensitive skin: Exfoliating sensitive skin can be tricky because you never know how your skin will react. The best way to work with this skin type is by using ingredients that are soothing.
• 1 Tbsp Oats – Soothes and gently exfoliates skin
• 2 Tbsp Yogurt – Tightens pores and brightens complexion
• 1 Tsp Honey – Fights bacteria and moisturizes
Once you have prepared your mixture, rub it into your skin with wet fingers for one to two minutes and rinse off with cool water. For best results, steam beforehand and moisturize afterwards.