The demons that Cory Monteith had battled for years did ultimately win in the end. The autopsy and toxicity screening on July 15 showed that the 31-year-old Glee star died of an overdose, with heroin and alcohol being among the substances found in his body.
Monteith was found dead Saturday in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver after missing his scheduled noon checkout time. Monteith, who spent about a month in rehab this past spring, talked candidly just last month about abusing drugs as a teenager and his ongoing battle with substance abuse.
On his flight from Japan to Vancouver just days prior to his death, the Calgary native shot a video message for his fans: "I wanted to record this video for you guys just to let you know to stay out of trouble and stay in school."