An early morning security clampdown Tuesday in the suburb of Mahboula resulted in the arrest of around 1,527 expatriates. The sudden security campaign on illegal residents and violators of law was led by Undersecretary of the Ministry of Interior Suleiman Fahd Al-Fahd accompanied by the Assistant Undersecretary for Public Security Affairs at the Ministry, Major-General Abdel Fattah Al-Ali, says a press release issued by the Ministry.
The press release said all exit and entry points were manned by security personnel before carrying out the raid. Those arrested included 401 who did not carry valid documents, 150 were violators of the law and 41 illegally staying in the country. However, 261 of the arrested were later released after verifying their records.
The press release added, the Ministry of Interior began a massive crackdown on illegals towards the end of last year and has vowed to continue to arrest illegal persons calling them a security threat to the country.
The Ministry of Interior has affirmed many such campaigns will be carried out in all areas and governorates of Kuwait to ensure adherence to the law at the same time calling on the expatriates to carry their identification papers at all times and help police carry out their duty. This security clampdown comes in the aftermath of the announcement of a partial amnesty by the government for all illegal residents who are called to legalize their stay or pay the fines and leave the country without being blacklisted. Unlike earlier years, the amnesty does not absolve the illegal residents from paying fines.