Dickson House is named after the British High Commissioner Lieutenant Colonel Harold Dickson who moved into the house the same year he was appointed at British Political Agent to Kuwait in 1929.
The house was built in the early 19th century: it belonged to a Kuwait merchant called Mohammad bin Ali Al-Asfour.
After Dickson's death in 1959, his wife, Dame Violet (locally known as Om Soud) remained a tenant in the house until 1990.
After she died, the house has been under the care of Kuwait's National Council for Culture, Arts and Letters. It was converted into a museum, and was opened in January 23, 2001, to become a cultural center that tells the story of a British officer who was smitten by the Kuwaiti culture and customs.