(UPDATE) Details on the bomber
Since the Friday noon bombing that turned a mosque in downtown Kuwait into a scene of shocked and blood-stained victims and wreckage, Kuwaiti authorities have been engaged in round the clock efforts to uncover culprits and resolve all circumstances surrounding the bloody attack. And these efforts have borne fruits only within hours since the attack.
Latest successful action by the Ministry of Interior was declared earlier on Sunday, when it issued a statement revealing identity of the bomber who had entered Imam Al-Sadqie Mosque in Al-Sawaber, Kuwait City's center, and turned on explosives strapped to his body, killing innocent worshippers performing the Friday prayers.
The ministry said the bomber came to Kuwait by air, at dawn on Friday, only a few hours before he perpetrated his mass-scale crime, killing 27 people and wounding 227 others, including children and elderly. The event has gripped attention of the globe, particularly as the media broadcast pictures of terrorized and shocked citizens, with blood oozing from their cut faces and bodies and soaking their white robes.
"The bomber was a Saudi citizen, named Fahad Suleiman Abdulmohsen Al-Gabbaa, born in 1992," said the Kuwaiti Ministry of Interior, command of which had pledged to leave no stone unturned to uncover all the hands involved in the cowardly crime. "Al-Gabbaa entered the country at dawn on Friday, only hours before blowing himself up, according to the MoI, adding that he arrived by air, through Kuwait International Airport. The MoI will disclose further information about investigations into the Friday bombing. Security personnel are currently searching for "accomplices in this blatant crime," the statement said.
Earlier, the authorities announced the arrest of the owner of the house where Imam Al-Sadiq Mosque bomber's driver was staying. The MoI said the landlord, a Kuwaiti national, is advocate of "fundamentalist and deviant ideology." Authorities will "continue efforts to uncover the conspirators in this criminal act and reveal all of the information and circumstances behind it," the statement added.
This came moments after Abdulrahman Sabah Eidan Saud, an illegal resident, driver of the car which transported the bomber to the target of the attack, was apprehended. He was born in 1989.